Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Although people have lived in the area that is now Glasgow for millennia, the city was properly founded in the 6th century by which Christian saint who is now the city's patron?
2. Which warrior led a sack on Glasgow in 1153 during a dispute of royal succession?
3. The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 after Pope Nicholas V gave a papal bull to King James II. This was the second university to be founded in Scotland. Which was the first?
4. Which goods from the American colonies helped Glasgow grow from a small, quiet town to an industrialized, wealthy city during the 18th century?
5. What is the name of economist Adam Smith's groundbreaking work about economic success and what nations can do to grow and maintain their economy that was first published in Glasgow in 1776?
6. Which of the following was a goal of the Scottish Insurrection ("Radical War") of 1820 which started in Glasgow when workers went on strike?
7. During World War II, Glasgow was brought out of another economic depression because of what industry, that was extremely important to the Allied efforts in Europe?
8. What is the name of the engineer, who sounds strangely like a legendary Scottish hero, who published a series of reports about how Glasgow could improve itself in the aftermath of World War II?
9. What was the name of the effort to improve Glasgow after the city once again saw an economic decline in the 1980s?
10. Which event did Glasgow host for the first time in 2014, becoming the second Scottish city after Edinburgh to do so?
Source: Author Joepetz
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.