Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Historians believe that Sarajevo has been inhabited by humans since the Neolithic Age at least 4,500 years ago. People, now called the Butmirs, settled in the present-day Sarajevo neighborhood of the same name likely because of an abundance of what?
2. The Illyrians were a group of people who inhabited Sarajevo until they were conquered by which future Roman emperor in the year 9 A.D.?
3. During the 14th and 15th centuries, it is believed that a precursor to the city of Sarajevo was formed under what name?
4. After the Ottomans invaded and conquered the city that is now Sarajevo, they destroyed everything in sight and the city remained in ruins for centuries.
5. What part of Sarajevo history can be credited to the Venetian Caterino Zeno when he visited the city in 1550?
6. What is the name of the Austrian general who, in 1697, successfully sacked Sarajevo, looted its treasures and burned the city down?
7. What is the nickname of Husein Gradascevic, the man who led an unsuccessful revolt against the Ottomans in the 1831?
8. Perhaps the most famous world event the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg by Gavrilo Princip on June 28, 1914. For what reason was Franz Ferdinand traveling in Sarajevo at that time?
9. When Sarajevo, then a city in Yugoslavia, hosted the Winter Olympics in 1984, the mascot of the games was Vucko. Vucko was depicted as what type of animal on skis?
10. The Siege of Sarajevo began on April 5, 1992 and nearly four years later with a peace agreement signed in which U.S. city?
Source: Author Joepetz
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.