Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A hot and sour soup, "tom yum goong" combines several powerful flavors in one bowl: chili peppers, kaffir lime, fish sauce, and galangal (similar to ginger). What ingredient is the "goong" in this version of tom yum soup?
2. From Chiang Mai to Bangkok to Phuket, you'll find this incredible stir-fried street dish made with rice noodles, seafood, egg, peanuts and bean sprouts. It is also a staple of restaurants overseas, considered by many to be an unofficial ambassador of Thailand and an iteration of Thai "soft power." What is this Thai national dish?
3. "Som tam" is an incredibly refreshing salad and a national dish of Thailand. It uses an ingredient that originally came to Southeast Asia from the Americas by way of Spanish and Portuguese explorers. Which fruit (unripe in this dish's preparation) is it?
4. "Kaeng phet" (pictured) and "kaeng khiao wan" are two spicy, fragrant dishes cooked with sweet and soothing coconut milk. The first is red and the second green. What kind of dish are they?
5. "Moo ping" is a pork skewer that is marinated and then grilled. It is a common street food in Thailand.
True or false: "Moo ping" is commonly eaten as a breakfast food in Thailand.
6. It frequently beats out rice and rubber as the top export from Thailand in total baht. Thailand alone grows 300 varieties of it. What is this supremely popular (and supremely smelly) fruit?
7. Served in a small bowl and flavored with pig's blood, "kuay teow reua" is a Thai noodle dish that was traditionally sold in what interesting way?
8. The main ingredient in these savory Thai cakes (tod mun pla) is the meat of a clown featherback. What kind of creature is that?
9. The Thai chicken dish known as "gai pad med mamuang" finds its roots in Chinese Szechuan dishes such as kung pao chicken. Instead of the peanuts found in the Chinese dishes, which culinary nut is used in this Thai dish?
10. "Khao niew mamuang", or mango with sticky rice, is a simple, yet traditional, Thai dessert. Coconut milk is added to the sticky rice to sweeten it. A synonym for "sticky", what other name is given to the type of Asian rice used in this dish?
Source: Author trident
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.