Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. All good pizza starts with a pizza base. I will be making some crispy-crust pizzas, and some with a thick, bread-like crust. What kind of fungus is going to help me with the thick crusts?
2. My first pizza is going to have my childhood favorite topping, mushroom. The picture shows a tray of the only mushrooms with which I was familiar as a child, Agaricus bisporus, growing in a darkened room. Which of these is NOT a name for a strain of Agaricus bisporus?
3. My next pizza is going to have an oriental twist to its flavor, so I will be adding a brown sauce to the tomato base, and won't be including my usual European herbs. Which of these sauces is available for me to use thanks to the action of a mold on soybeans?
4. Since this is an Oriental pizza, I think I'll use a mushroom that is native to China, Korea and Japan, shown here. Which of these is it?
5. Since I love mushrooms, I'm going to use two types on this Oriental pizza. The second one will be this unusually-shaped mushroom, a cultivar of Flammulina velutipes. My grocer labels them with their Japanese name - which of these is it?
6. I plan to make at least a couple of pizzas with meat on them - ham, salami, chicken - but there will be some vegetarian guests. The picture shows the UK product Quorn, a meat substitute that I could use as a pizza topping. Is there a fungus involved in producing Quorn?
7. I am planning a seafood and mushroom pizza, and decided to use the member of the genus Pleurotus shown here, whose common name fits in with that theme. What kind of mushroom is this?
8. My daughter is more adventurous than me in her choice of flavors to combine in her cooking. My next pizza will reproduce one of her creations - spinach, pumpkin and blue cheese. Which of the following will I NOT be using as the blue cheese part of the toppings?
9. My last pizza is going to have mixed vegetables for a topping, including mushrooms again. Have you noticed that I have a great fondness for mushrooms? This is a picture of the one I plan to use, Boletus edulis, a widely-grown mushroom whose Italian name is porcino. What is the translation of that name into English?
10. Any good meal needs liquid refreshment to accompany the food. Since I am producing a fungus-filled meal, which of these drinks would be most appropriate as a thematic accompaniment?
Source: Author looney_tunes
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.