Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. When I opened the refrigerator this morning, the dessert I intended to snack on was covered with some fuzzy dark growth that looked sinister and alien. I was sad, because the graham cracker crust, eggs, cheese, sugar and a few other ingredients were expensive! What dessert am I not going to be enjoying?
2. When I went to make a classic Reuben sandwich, I lined up all the ingredients on the counter. The corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island dressing all looked good, but the bread was spotted with some menacing-looking mold. So, I dashed to the store - to buy what type of bread?
3. Oh dear, I found a container in my cabinet that should have been stored in the refrigerator! When I opened the bulging lid, it looked like some kind of science experiment! It used to be a tasty mixture of chopped celery, diced onions, salt and pepper, pasta and mayonnaise. What food, which I usually pack for a picnic, has spoiled in the cabinet?
4. Yikes! I opened the refrigerator, and almost choked on the foul smell of hydrogen sulfide! I am going to have to clean the refrigerator quite well, in order to get rid of the stench from which rotten food?
5. I was looking forward to making a healthy, but delicious, salad for my lunch. The lettuce was fresh, the shredded carrots and sliced cucumbers were crisp, and the green onions smelled strong. But, the Capsicum annuum I had planned to dice was soft, covered with dark splotches, and oozing a rather foul-looking slime. What vegetable is my salad going to be lacking?
6. A while back I ordered take-out from a local Chinese restaurant, and as usual, I ordered too much! But, when I finally reopened the small white carton of Kung Pao chicken, it looked like something which had gone through a garbage disposal! It was all mushy and slimy - except for some small hard brownish bits. An essential ingredient in Kung Pao chicken, do you know which bits these were?
7. While I was searching for a snack in the refrigerator, I found a container that had been pushed back into the coldest corner! Sure that I had found the perfect snack, I opened the container, and realized that my flummery had tried to survive the cold by donning a coat of mold. I really want some flummery, so I will just go to where the dish originated. But, what country is that?
8. A few weeks ago I brought home some leftovers from our family get-together, and promptly forgot about them. When I remembered, it was too late! The Southern US dish of field peas, rice, ham hock and spices looked like something from a horror movie! It's hard to tell now, but what was this leftover?
9. Last month I made corned beef and cabbage, but only enough for one meal. I used the rest of the head of cabbage to make a side dish for an upcoming barbecue, and put it in the refrigerator. The barbecue was cancelled, and the cabbage I'd shredded and mixed with grated carrots and mayonnaise went bad - almost bad enough to get my neighborhood quarantined! What side dish caused such trouble?
10. After a long day at work I decided to treat myself to a comfort food my Italian grandmother used to make. Gathering all my ingredients for her risotto with gorgonzola, I was actually happy to see mold in my refrigerator! Gorgonzola is an Italian blue cheese which is supposed to contain mold.
Source: Author beergirllaura
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.