Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The origins of this food item can be found in the northern counties of England during the Elizabethan period. They take their name from the effect that they will have on you if you eat too many. By what name are they known?
2. These popular cheeses hail from the English county of Somerset and take their name from the town near Yeovil in which they were first made. Which town is this?
3. These small pies have been popular in Scotland for many generations and have also become popular with the 'Sassenachs'. The traditional meaty filling is mutton. By what name are these delicious little pies commonly known?
4. 'Podin Henlys' is a sweet pudding prepared and served to the dancers and spectators at the 'Furry Day' celebrations in which Cornish town each May?
5. Used as a spice for over 5000 years, this ingredient is usually encountered in seed form and has a mild calming effect. For this reason it was often used in food served at funeral wakes; 'Wiggs' and 'Yorkshire Funeral Biscuits' are two such foods. What are these seeds that, with cumin, are also used to flavour the spirit, 'Kümmel'?
6. If you were living in the United Kingdom whilst the 'horsemeat in food' scandal was in full swing, you may have been excused if you hadn't been to keen on eating this meat pie that hails from a town prominent within the UK horse racing industry. From which Berkshire town does this dish take its name?
7. This dish, now regarded as typically British, was brought back to Britain by soldiers returning home from service in the Indian sub-continent. What is the name of this popular and delicious 'fishy' dish?
8. Over the last few decades, fruits such as melon, kiwi, blackcurrants and cherries have become popular ingredients in recipes for this fabulous dessert that takes its name from a famous British public school?
9. Becoming popular around four hundred years ago, this dessert is prepared using milk, cream, sugar and wine. This smooth and tasty dessert is traditionally served chilled in fine glasses.
10. If you have answered the preceding questions correctly, each initial letter will spell the answer to this question...These are small, breadcrumb covered patties usually found on the hotplate at the local fish and chip shop. What are these tasty little morsels known as?
Source: Author SisterSeagull
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.