Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. I visited the home of a star cluster in the land of Aethiopia. The family that lives here is a contentious lot, bragging about trivial things like beauty and sea monsters. The right arm of this group is the star, Alpha Cephei, a white subgiant estimated to be 17 times brighter than earth's sun. I made note that Alpha Cephei calls which constellation, my hosts, home?
2. My labors continued as I traveled to Argolis to meet a real hero and his stellar star family. I found him and his family in his trophy room surrounded by mounted heads of lions, boars, deer and hydra. The brightest of his stars, Kornephoros, was thought to be a yellow giant, although advances in astronomy determined it is actually a binary star that is part of which constellation?
3. My travels next took me to Boeotia where I was invited on a hunt with a hero, his red giant and pulsating blue giant star friends, Betelgeuse and Rigel, and his faithful dog, Sirius. The group of us enjoyed a pleasant afternoon in Crete with our hostess, the beautiful Artemis. Unfortunately, that chump of a hero got a little drunk and boastful about his hunting skills and missed the scorpion that ultimately killed him. In honor of his memory, Zeus placed what hero into the heavenly constellations?
4. While Jason and his crew were out looking for some dumb sheep skin, I borrowed his unattended boat in Thessaly and took a trip to Colchis. It took me forever to navigate the boat as it was enormous! At night, I kept myself warm by sitting near Gama Velorum, the boat's bright star navigation system. After many days across the universe, I returned the boat, hoping Jason wouldn't mind that I stole his really sweet ride, named what?
5. Needing a speedy steed, I roped a winged horse and set off across the skies in search of my next star. I consulted the demon star Algol about the whereabouts of this hero. Seems he was doing the hair of some monster from Sarpedon, or something like that. I didn't want to interrupt his work, so I left a message on his voicemail. Who will be returning my call?
6. I found myself lost in a fog finally emerging in a marvelous garden. Surely I've found the pillars of creation. Marvelous to behold until I saw the serpents straddling the equator in my path. I drew back in horror until a gentleman appeared to bear the serpents away. Unukalhai told me this has been this fellow's lot in life, an eternal struggle of equal powers with those twisty creatures. Who is he?
7. In good time, I find myself standing beside a river in disbelief. Try as I may, I cannot avert my eyes from the trainwreck I behold...some dumb boy, Phaethon, has tried to impress people by driving his father's chariot. When it was obvious he was about to burn up the earth with this attempt, Zeus stepped in and zapped him...his body falling into which river before me?
8. All this race watching sent me to the barn nestled close to Mount Pelion. I do love petting the ponies, especially Toliman, the brightest of the bunch. Deep in the shadows of a stall next to a pretty mare, I was startled to encounter another. Poor old Dad was tricked by Zeus into laying with Hera and cursed to be bound to a flaming wheel. Not even a few good sugar cubes could comfort which creature?
9. My barnyard visit was not complete without visiting some of the other animals. Horses are often heroic, but pale in comparison to the golden fleece of this next creature. Hamal told me it was honored in the heavens after it was sacrificed to Zeus upon saving the king's son. What creature gave us a famed fleece and is honored in the night's sky?
10. I turn for home but decide to pass by Jaffa to see the rocks that once interested some hero. Here, he'd rescued a beautiful princess, more beautiful than even the Nereids. I wasn't quite sure where to find the right rocks though, so I asked Alpheratz. He pointed me toward the Northern Hemisphere to look for which fair lady?
Source: Author TemptressToo
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor looney_tunes
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.