Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. True or False? Milton was a royalist.
2. What is the name of the great epic about the battle between God and Satan and the history of man, that is considered to be Milton's absolute masterpiece?
3. What was the name of Milton's first wife, whom he married in 1641, and who left him a few months after the marriage, and returned to him in 1645, but died in childbirth in 1652?
4. How old was Milton when he wrote 'On the Morning of Christ's Nativity'?
5. Which of the following works was NOT written by John Milton?
6. In 1634 Milton wrote a masque. What's the name of that masque?
7. What kind of work was 'Areopagitica'?
8. Can you fill in the missing word from the famous opening line of 'Paradise Lost': 'Of man's first ...... , and the fruit Of that forbidden tree,'
9. 'Paradise Lost' tells the story of Adam and Eve. The poem is divided in 12 'books'. In what 'book' does Eve finally eat the apple that 'brought death into the world, and all our woe'?
10. 'Book 1' of 'Paradise Lost' presents Satan with his angels fallen into Hell. When recovered, Satan awakens all his legions and speaks to them. The first he adresses is described as 'one next to himself in power, and next in crime, long after known in palestine'. What's the name of this fallen angel?
11. This poet joined Milton, at Milton's request, in the post of Latin secretary to Cromwell's Council of State, and helped his friend Milton avoid execution for his revolutionary polemics, and helped negotiate Milton's release from a brief imprisonment. He also wrote a brilliant poem of criticism and interpretation on Milton's 'Paradise Lost' that was used as preface to the second edition. Who was this poet?
12. In 1652 Milton became an invalid. Did he become blind or deaf?
13. At the end of his life, Milton wrote a follow-up to 'Paradise Lost', a brief epic in four books that treats Jesus' temptation in the wilderness. What is the name of this follow-up?
14. How many women did John Milton Marry?
15. In 'Paradise Lost', which angel is ordered by God to drive Adam and Eve out of Paradise? Before he does so, he shows Adam a number of visions about the future of the human race, beginning with Cain murdering Abel and ending with the redemption of mankind through Christ. Who is this angel that has a large role in the finishing chapters of 'Paradise Lost'?
Source: Author marienbart
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor MotherGoose
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.