Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Throughout the entire movie, the British Intelligence Agency was called by quite a different name. What was it called?
2. The movie mostly revolved around one man named George Smiley (Gary Oldman). For almost 18 minutes into the movie, Smiley did not speak a word. What was the first thing he said when he finally spoke?
3. When Jim Prideaux (Mark Strong) was shot outside a cafe, what country was he in?
4. Control (John Hurt) was ousted out of his position within the Agency. Who replaced him as the director?
5. Smiley spoke of a Russian spy named Karla. Smiley believed that Karla had placed the mole inside the British Agency. Smiley had met Karla years before, and had offered him asylum in England or somewhere in the West. Smiley said that Karla refused, and returned to Russia. However, Karla kept something of Smiley's. What was that item?
6. One of the members of the Intelligence Agency, Percy Alleline (Toby Jones), had an operation going where he traded low level secret information for what he believed was high end Soviet secret information. He used an unidentified Soviet source who had access to the highest reaches inside the Kremlin. What was the name of this operation?
7. Smiley sent Peter Guillam (Benedict Cumberbatch) into the halls of the Agency to retrieve a log book. This required that Peter steal it from the records room; a room where no outside bags were allowed. Smiley had Mendel (the other member of his team) call Peter as Peter was in the records room, so that he would have to come out to take the call. Who did Mendel pose as over the phone when he called Peter at the Agency?
8. Ricky Tarr (Tom Hardy) was an agent who had an assignment in Turkey to follow a Russian trade delegate. However, Ricky broke protocol when he left the trade delegate and struck up a relationship with the delegate's wife. She eventually asked Ricky for safe passage to the west, and a new life. What was her name?
9. Throughout the movie, Percy Alleline had a very secret safe house where he debriefed his Russian source. It was so secret that only a select few knew where it was. Even Percy's superiors were left in the dark about its location. Who did Smiley squeeze for the information as to the address of this safe house?
10. Smiley went to see a woman named Connie Sachs (Kathy Burke) who had once worked in the agency too. She ran background checks for all foreign people who were recruited by agents. When it came to a Russian recruit named Polyakov, Connie ran afoul with Percy and Toby. When she discovered something that should have raised suspicions about Polyakov, her concerns were of no interest to Percy. What was it about Polyakov that raised red flags for Connie?
11. We eventually learned that Ricky Tarr was working under the supervision of Peter Guillam. Ricky resurfaced in England after the debacle in Turkey and sought out Smiley. Eventually, Peter met up with Ricky face to face. What was the first thing Peter did with Ricky?
12. Bill Haydon (Colin Firth) eventually got caught as the mole who gave high level secrets to the Russians. Bill confessed to Smiley that Karla knew he would find the mole. To that end, Karla suggested that Bill do what to hinder Smiley's focus?
13. Jim Prideaux survived his ordeal in which he was shot outside a cafe. What kind of job did he take afterwards?
14. Toby Esterhase (David Dencik) was a recruit who was originally brought in by Control. Toby was a wanted man where he came from. Where did Control find Toby before he decided to recruit him?
15. At the end of the movie, there was a montage played of the events that followed the capture of the mole. Which of these events was NOT shown in the montage?
Source: Author Saltab74
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor jmorrow
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.