Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This Swedish electropop duo, comprising brother and sister Karin Dreijer Andersson and Olof Dreijer, are best known for the singles 'Heartbeats' and 'We Share Our Mother's Health', but less people may know their haunting seasonal record 'Christmas Reindeer'. Under what name do they record?
2. This band, who formed in Prestwich in Manchester in 1976 and are still performing to this day, are known for their distinctive sound, iconic front man and their prolific turnover of band members. However, what is perhaps less well known is the fact that they have recorded and released a number of Christmas songs including covers of 'Jingle Bell Rock', and 'Hark the Herald Angels Sing' as well as original festive compositions such as '(We Wish You) A Protein Christmas', 'Merry Xmas Simon' and 'No Xmas for John Quays'. What is the name of this band fronted by Mark. E. Smith?
3. This Britpop band, formed in London in 1992 and fronted by Justine Frischmann, recorded a version of 'We Three Kings of Orient Are', imaginatively entitled 'I Wanna Be A King of Orient-Ah''. What is the name of this British band whose biggest chart hits included 'Connection' and 'Waking Up'?
4. This new wave band, who formed in Ohio in 1978 and split up in 1984, had a very minor hit in the USA and UK with 'I Know What Boys Like' but are probably best known for their seasonal song 'Christmas Wrapping', which, while it did not make much of an impact on the charts when it was first released in 1981, has gone on to become a staple of Christmas music compilations and to be covered by a range of acts including The Spice Girls and the cast of 'Glee'. What is the name of this band fronted by late vocalist Patty Donahue?
5. This minimalist slowcore band from Minnesota, featuring core members Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker, would seem like an unlikely source of festive music, however, their 1999 EP, simply entitled 'Christmas', has turned out to be one of the band's most successful releases. The lead track of the EP, 'Just Like Christmas' is probably the band's most upbeat recording and was used as the soundtrack to all of the BBC's trailers for its Christmas TV schedule in 2013. What is the name of this understated band?
6. This legendary New York-based new wave punk band got in on the Christmas act a bit late by recording the festive single 'Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)' which was released in 1989 and taken from their 'Brain Drain' album. What is the name of this influential band perhaps better known for such songs as 'Blitzkrieg Bop' and 'Sheena Is A Punk Rocker'?
7. What is the name of the Sheffield-based band, fronted by Kate Jackson, who formed in 2003 and split up in 2008 and who released singles such as 'Appropriation By Any Other Name', 'Separated By Motorways', 'Once and Never Again' and their 2004 Christmas single 'Christmas Is Cancelled'?
8. What is the name of the indie synthpop band, fronted by lead vocalist Sarah Cracknell, who formed in Croydon in 1990, took their name from that of a French football club and who are probably best known for their singles 'I Was Born on Christmas Day', 'He's On the Phone' and 'You're In A Bad Way' and who released an entire album of Christmas songs in 2010 entitled 'A Glimpse of Stocking'?
9. Which seminal all female Japanese pop punk band formed in Osaka in 1981, supported Nirvana on their 'Nevermind' tour of the UK and have recorded the Christmas songs 'Sweet Christmas' and 'Space Christmas'?
10. Which power pop band, formed in New York City in 1996, took their name from a garden accessories shop in Wayne, New Jersey and released the seasonal single 'I Want An Alien For Christmas'?
Source: Author candy-pop
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.