Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Often called the 'queen of indiepop', she has been in a string of wonderful bands since the mid 1980s, including Talulah Gosh, Heavenly, Marine Research and her latest project Catenary Wires. Her longest running musical project was Tender Trap, which she formed in 2001 with fellow member of Marine Research and Heavenly Rob Pursey. Their 2012 album 'Ten Songs About Girls' featured the track 'Leaving Christmas Day'. What is the name of this prolific artist who is also a respected economist who was awarded an OBE in 2014 for her services to competition and consumer economics?
2. Which very popular bluesy garage rock duo, who formed in Detroit in 1997, released a Christmas single entitled 'Candy Cane Children' in 2002?
3. In 2007 a band called The Black Arts formed in order to release the single 'Christmas Number One', which has, to date, been their only release. The band was a collaboration between Sarah Nixey, formerly of Black Box Recorder and Eddie Argos who is the lead singer of which British indie band who released the singles 'Emily Kane', 'Modern Art' and 'Formed A Band'?
4. Originally formed in 1991 as a backing band and occasional warm-up act for Billy Childish's similarly named band, this all-girl group is perhaps best known for the song 'Davy Crockett'. They also recorded a Christmas song entitled 'Santa Claus'. What is the name of this band which launched the career of 'Holly Golightly', who would go on to have a successful international solo career?
5. This Californian band formed in 1995 and were fronted by a lead singer who went by the stage name E. They are perhaps best known for singles such as 'Novocaine for the Soul', 'Susan's House' and 'I Like Birds' but also recorded a number of seasonal songs during their career including 'Everything's Gonna Be Cool This Christmas' and 'Christmas Is Going to the Dogs'. What is the name of this band?
6. This indie band from Cork had their biggest chart hit in their native Ireland with 'Wheres Me Jumper' in 1992 and recorded a festive song entitled 'Christmas Bubblegum Machine' as the b-side to their 1993 single 'Michiko'. What is the name of this band whose name is a pun on a famous Dire Straits song and who changed their name twice during their career, abbreviating it slightly on each occasion?
7. Which Scottish new wave band, who formed in Edinburgh in 1976, are best known for their UK top twenty hit 'Top of the Pops' and recorded a version of 'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town' in 1981?
8. Which power pop band, who formed in Colorado in 1996 and are fronted by Tammy Ealom, take their name from a popular brand of doll from the 1980s and recorded the seasonal song 'Hopped Up On Christmas'?
9. Which horror-themed pop punk band, who formed in Liverpool in 1998, are known for their love of b-movies and their gothic aesthetic and recorded the typically playful seasonal song 'Transylvanian Xmas' as well as the 2006 EP 'A Chainsaw for Christmas'?
10. Which Cardiff-based indiepop band, fronted by principal songwriter Liz Hunt, which formed in 2007 and released their debut album, 'Loveless Unbeliever', in 2010, have recorded several festive songs including 'Let Me Be the Fairy on Your Christmas Tree' and 'Kiss You in the Snow'?
Source: Author candy-pop
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor agony
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.