Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The song revolves around the deaths of three famous musicians in what type of tragedy?
2. In what month did the deaths of the three musicians occur?
3. Which of the following people did not die in the crash?
4. What type of car gets a mention in the song?
5. In the song, a drink gets mentioned. What is this drink?
6. The title of a "Byrds" song appears in the lyrics. What song is that?
7. The title of a "Beatles" song also appears in the lyrics. What song is that?
8. "`Cause I saw you dancin' ______
You both kicked off your shoes
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues"
Where was the dance taking place?
9. "I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck"
The next line's last word rhymes with the last words of these two lines. What is it?
10. What is it that might "save your mortal soul"?
11. What article(s) of clothing are removed when the dancing occurs?
12. In the chorus McLean sings about the "good old boys". In what Dan Ackroyd movie do we see an appearance by a group of people known as the "good old boys"?
13. What football terminology does NOT appear in the song lyrics?
14. What colour is the carnation?
15. What was wrong with "the church bells"?
16. The song goes:
"We all got up to dance
Oh, but we never got the chance
'Cause the players tried to take the field"
What happened? Why didn't the players take the field?
17. What 1960s science fiction show gets inadvertently mentioned in the course of the lyrics?
18. "Jack flash sat on a candlestick"! Why?
19. "And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite..."
What word follows at the end of the next line, that rhymes with the last words on each of the lines shown above?
20. "I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news"
What did the girl do next?
21. How many people "practiced in the park"?
22. Which of these did NOT happen "in the streets"?
23. At what type of store had the singer "heard the music years before"?
24. Who catches the train?
25. Who made a cover version of "American Pie" in 2000?
Source: Author FussBudget
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Dalgleish
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.