Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. "Hello out there! We're on the air,
It's Hockey Night tonight;
Tension grows, the whistle blows,
And the puck goes down the ice.
The goalie jumps, and the players bump,
And the fans all go insane;
Someone roars, "_______ scores!"
At the good old hockey game."
2. This song is from a singer who does not immediately spring to mind when you think of manly pursuits. It reminds us, though, that hockey doesn't only belong to the NHL and the jocks. Who is the artist, here?
"You skate as fast as you can 'til you hit the snowbank (that's how you stop)
and you get your sweater from the catalogue
you use your rubber boots for goal posts
don't let those Sunday afternoons
get away get away get away get away
break away break away break away break away"
3. "Gordie and my old man on a Saturday night
watching the ___________ and getting tight"
In this song by the Grievous Angels, which original six team are they watching?
4. Here's a fun one that you can hear at games sometimes; can you remember the name of the band who gave us this song?
"Do you play hockey?"
And I says "Do I play hockey?
Well, I play Air hockey, Ball hockey, Barn hockey, Bubble hockey, Field hockey,
Floor hockey, Ice hockey, Kitchen hockey, Road hockey, Roller hockey, Table hockey, Twist hockey
And I play hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey, hockey all the time!"
5. "He prayed to God he could keep his mind on the game
One went off the pad
One went off the skates
One went in the top shelf he couldn't concentrate
he didn't give a damn about the goal light flashin' red
Love hit him
Love hit him
Love hit him like _____________"
What words finish this lyric?
6. "You might think you Yankees
Are better than us Canucks
But we don't need no microchips
Inside our hockey pucks"
OK, this is not really a hockey song - that's the only hockey reference in it, right there, but I like it a lot so I wanted to include it. However, it was written by a three-man comedy group, who do have a more famous hockey song, "Me Like Hockey". What's the name of the group?
7. "I hear your voice 'cross a frozen lake
a voice from the end of a leaf
saying, 'you won't die of a thousand fakes
or be beaten by the sweetest of dekes'"
What's the name of this song, from the Tragically Hip?
8. "Wendel was a man with a stick in his hands
Who learned how to play in Kelvington, S-A-S-K.
You'll wish that you had died,
When Wendel has your hide,
'Cause he does it the Canadian way.
So now we sit around on the couch and watch TV
And we see Wendel leading the team.
Well, if God made Clark on the seventh day,
He knew what He was doing if He did.
(If He did!)"
Which long established and influential Toronto band gave us this song?
9. "There were Swedes to the left of him
Russians to the right
A Czech at the blue line looking for a fight
Brains over brawn--that might work for you
But what's a Canadian farm boy to do?"
We need at least one song on this quiz that isn't by a Canadian! Who gave us this one?
10. Another American band, Gear Daddies, have a song about a non-game rink staple. What's their biggest hit about?
Source: Author agony
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.