Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The action begins on Thursday evening at six o'clock. The Edmonton Folk Festival expanded from a three-day to a four-day event in 1994. On that first Thursday evening the headline act was a legendary Canadian performer, known for such albums as "Ladies of the Canyon", "Blue", and "Court and Spark". Who was she?
2. The crowd views the main stage concerts while seated on the ski hill, overlooking the lights of downtown and the gorgeous river valley. What's the name of the river that flows through Edmonton, anyway?
3. As we watch the evening main-stage concerts, we can see the sunset painting the prairie sky. At about what time does the sun set in Edmonton (Latitude 53 degrees North) in the second weekend in August?
4. In 1987, the folkfest was eclipsed in people's minds by a natural disaster that had swept through Edmonton the week before. What was it?
5. Performers come to Edmonton from everywhere. Djelimady Tounkara, Boubacor Traore, and Alpha Yaya Diallo are all recent performers from what part of the world?
6. When people think of folk music, they tend to think of singer-songwriters, one person with a guitar. Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Butch Hancock and Joe Ely all sometimes fit that image, and they're all from the same place. Where?
7. Festivals aren't only about performances, but also about food! This lightly fried vegetarian dish, originally from North China, is a staple at Edmonton festivals.
8. The Edmonton folk festival is not only popular among fans, it's also extremely popular among musicians, many of whom return year after year. This musician, most famous for "Midnight at the Oasis", and "Cookin' Breakfast (for the One I Love)" has returned to the festival more than four times.
9. Which style of music are you not likely to hear at a Folk Festival?
10. The week after the FolkFest ends, Edmonton hosts another world famous festival, The Fringe Theatre Festival. This is modeled after the older and larger Fringe Festival in which city?
Source: Author agony
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.