Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the most collectible and valuable singles was recorded early in this group's evolution. Recorded as an acetate in 1958 by The Quarrymen, it featured John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison. Do you know this cover of a Buddy Holly and the Crickets song?
2. The increasing sales of vinyl records has gained momentum from well known musicians. These musicians question the 'compressed and hollow' sound of digital music. Which musician (of "Heart of Gold" and "Harvest Moon" fame) suggested that streaming services were a "huge step down from vinyl" (NY Times Aug. 2019)?
3. The first recording session by Elvis Presley is a highly prized collectable. Purchased by Jack White in 2015, you'll be happy if you can tell me the song title?
4. According to Guinness World Records, Madonna is the best selling female artist of all-time. By combining her unique abilities as a singer, songwriter and performer, she has become the most successful solo act in popular music. Which of her best selling singles is also the title of a fashion magazine?
5. The debut album by The Velvet Underground & Nico is one of the most powerful albums of the modern era. It is also known for its distinctive album cover.
Can you name the 'famous' artist who designed the cover artwork?
6. The vinyl revival has been consolidated by the establishment of Record Store Day in 2008. This event promotes independently owned record stores by bringing together staff, fans and artists through live performances and special vinyl releases. Does Record Store Day occur on an annual basis?
7. An autographed copy of John Lennon and Yoko Ono's final album is a extremely valuable collectable. Do you know the title of this record which included hit songs such as "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "Woman"?
8. In the 1970s, Punk rock music shook the music establishment with irreverent lyrics and resentment towards authority. Which controversial and collectable single by The Sex Pistols was banned by the B.B.C., despite its regal sounding title?
9. Probably the most important and influential album of the rock era was released in 1967 by The Beatles. An innovative album cover and printed lyrics displayed the graphic content of the record. Can you name this concept album which combined elements of vaudeville, circus and avant-garde with (popular) songs?
10. Vinyl records sales continued to increase in the first decades of the twenty-first century. The best selling album of modern times (up to 2020) was ironically released in 1982, when Compact Discs became commercially relevant. Do you know the title of this huge selling album by Michael Jackson?
Source: Author redwaldo
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor 1nn1
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.