Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Catherine was born a German princess in the year 1729, in the Baltic seaport town of Stettin. Stettin, at that time, was a part of Germany. Much later on, which country laid claim to this town?
2. By what name was Catherine christened at birth?
3. The Czarina of Russia, Elizabeth I, was once engaged to what relative of young Sophia?
4. What Prussian ruler was actively in favour of a match between Princess Sophia of Anhalt-Zerbst and the Grand Duke, Peter, of Russia?
5. In 1744, Princess Sophia was summoned to Russia by Czarina Elizabeth I, as a prospective bride for her nephew, Peter Feodorovich, heir to the Russian throne. How old was Sophia?
6. Catherine became the Grand Duchess of Russia when she married Peter in 1745. What was the date?
7. Who is widely thought to be the father of Catherine's son, the Grand Duke, Paul?
8. At the death of Czarina Elizabeth I, on December 25, 1761, Peter became the next Czar of Russia. Under what name did he reign?
9. With the full support of the Russian Imperial Guard, Peter was deposed on June 28, 1762. Catherine assumed the throne and was crowned Catherine II, in September, 1762. What ultimately happened to Peter?
10. As Empress, Catherine was a powerful ruler. Perhaps, she is too often remembered for her sexual exploits rather than what she did for Russia. During her reign, Catherine greatly increased Russia's territory and its power. She modernized Russia and worked to beautify it by employing western European artisans. She reigned for a total of 34 years. Who succeeded her at her death?
Source: Author wetaskiwin
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.