Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What was the profession of Tennyson's father who was plagued by excessive drinking and a violent, moody temper?
2. What happened to Edward, one of Alfred Tennyson's brothers?
3. What name did the American poet Walt Whitman call Tennyson?
4. In which year did Queen Victoria make Tennyson the Poet Laureate of Britain?
5. Where did Tennyson attend university?
6. Who was Tennyson's intimate college friend who inspired the confessional autobiographical poem "In Memoriam"?
7. For what illness did Tennyson seek a series of visits to a sanatorium with diet and body wraps?
8. Which of Tennyson's poems ends with these lines?
"Surely, surely, slumber is more sweet than toil, the shore than labour in the deep mid-ocean, wind and wave and oar/ oh rest ye, brother mariners, we will not wander more"?
9. Which of Tennyson's poems was written on the sea between the south coast and the Isle of Wight, where he and his wife had made their home (called Farringford) since 1853?
10. Thomas Edison made sound recordings of Tennyson reciting his own poems late in Tennyson's life. Among others, which poem did Tennyson include in his recording?
Source: Author seeker77
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Snowman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.