Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which English sea dog was not only a successful explorer, but also distinguished himself during the defeat of the Spanish Armada?
2. Although it is debated whether he was the first to discover the new land, which famous Scandinavian explorer, given the mission of bringing Christianity to Greenland, named a new land when a storm blew his ship off course?
3. Perhaps better known for a meeting with another explorer, which Scottish missionary and explorer is widely described as "Africa's greatest missionary"?
4. On his third voyage of discovery, which British explorer landed at Waimea harbor in Hawaii, the first European to have contact with the Hawaiian Islands?
5. Which English politician and explorer who searched for "El Dorado", is known for popularizing the use of tobacco?
6. Which Italian explorer, who sailed for England, is believed by many to have landed at Cape Bonavista, Newfoundland, in 1497?
7. Known for influencing many other travelers, which Italian merchant and explorer wrote a book about his travels in the early 1300s?
8. Which Norwegian explorer is considered to be the first to travel the Northwest Passage, and reach both poles?
9. A Portuguese explorer, who is believed to have been the first to travel around the Cape of Good Hope and reach India in 1497?
10. Which Italian explorer was given the title, "Viceroy of the Indies", as part of his agreement with the sponsors of his expedition?
Source: Author ponycargirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.