Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which Greek author is the best source of information concerning the capture of Julius Caesar by pirates?
2. The presence of pirates in the Mediterranean was an ongoing problem in the ancient world. In Caesar's time, what was the main objective of the pirates who sailed the sea?
3. How many times was Caesar captured by pirates?
4. The pirates who captured Julius Caesar in 75 BC are described as being "Cilician pirates". What does that mean?
5. What circumstance in Caesar's life led to his being captured by pirates in 75 BC?
6. Famously, the pirates demanded that Caesar must pay a ransom of twenty talents. What is a talent?
7. According to sources, how long did it take for Caesar's servants to raise the ransom money?
8. According to sources, how did Caesar pass the time while he was being held by the Cilician pirates?
9. According to sources, while Caesar was held hostage by Cilician pirates, he acted as if he was their leader rather than their captive.
10. In the end, what happened to the Cilician pirates who held Caesar for ransom in 75 BC?
Source: Author ponycargirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.