Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Gerda Weissmann lived a happy life in Poland before the Nazis started World War II by invading her homeland. In what Polish town did she live?
2. Like many others, the Weissmann family was split up other during the war. Gerda's brother Arthur was sent away first, in October 1939. Where was he sent ?
3. Other than Arthur, Gerda's immediate family all survived the war.
4. Before World War II Poland had a Jewish population of more than 3,000,000. At the end of the war, the Jewish population had declined to what level ?
5. Having been sent to camps at Marzdorf, Landshut and Gruenberg during the war, Gerda was then made to endure a forced march of 350 miles to escape the advancing Allied forces. How many of her group of 2,000 survived the march that ended in Volary, Czechoslovakia?
6. Ilse Kleinzähler was one of Gerda's childhood friends, and the two become even closer during their time together at the camps, often holding hands to comfort each other. Ilse was also a very talented musician. What instrument did she play ?
7. When Gerda and the other surviving marchers were near death, they were finally rescued. Which country's Army rescues them ?
8. Kurt Klein became Gerda's husband after the war. How did this amazing couple meet ?
9. After the war, Gerda recovered, and moved to America to be with Kurt. Where did the couple settle ?
10. Gerda's incredible story was turned by HBO into a movie called "One Survivor Remembers" in 1995. The movie won several awards. What kind of award did it NOT win ?
Source: Author tasman6
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.