Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the reasons given for Chulalongkorn's interest in reform for Thailand (then known as Siam) was that his father, King Mongkut, had arranged for a more Western type of education for his son. Who was Chulalongkorn's famous tutor?
2. When his father died, Chulalongkorn was only fifteen years old. Si Suriyawongse, the most important government official in Siam at the time, was appointed in what capacity to serve the young king?
3. Although his schooling might help to explain the young King Rama V's views toward change in his country, he had a personal experience that might have also swayed his opinions. Which of the following occurred early in his reign?
4. The reforms made by King Rama V were not always popular with Thai nobles. One of his first acts was to establish an Auditory Office. What was the main function of the Auditory Office?
5. As he tried to establish a Council of State, King Rama V experienced a difficult problem that had to be overcome. Why was it almost impossible to move forward with some of his proposed reforms?
6. What world event did King Rama V say provided him with the motivation to abolish slavery in Thailand?
7. King Rama V ruled a country that had a strict social system. Slaves, as well as commoners, were closely regulated by the government. What system of mandatory government service did he abolish?
8. In 1873 King Rama did away with a practice which he called "severely oppressive". What tradition did he eliminate at that time?
9. Rama V was the first Chakkri monarch to travel abroad.
10. Rama's V's efforts led to no European colonization in Thailand, and no loss of territory to foreign powers.
Source: Author ponycargirl
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.