Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Sometimes you only need to move one step in the alphabet to miss out on being a Kyle. Singer Lyle Lovett changed the "K" into "L" and won multiple Grammy Awards. Despite his music success, Lovett may be most famous for marrying an actress. What star of such films as "Erin Brockovich," "Pretty Woman," and "Steel Magnolias" was Lovett married to from 1993 to 1995?
2. People have missed out on being a Kyle with their last name too. Sparky Lyle just missed with his last name, but he did forge an impressive career as a Major League Baseball pitcher for several teams. In fact, in 1977 Lyle became the first American League relief pitcher to win the coveted Cy Young Award. He did so as a member of the team who won more World Series in the first 100 years of the championship then anyone else. What team did he pitch for that magical season?
3. Not to be outdone by Sparky, Sandy Lyle also entered the sporting realm. In 1988 he had a memorable year by winning the Masters Tournament. What sport is associated with this tournament?
4. Some have felt more adventurous straying from the name Kyle, and instead of replacing the "K" with "L" moved a few more letters away and used the letter "P." One such example was Pulitzer Prize winning journalist Ernie Pyle. What war did Pyle cover that brought him much success but also caused his death in 1945 when he was hit by machine gun fire?
5. It's bad enough when real people missed out on being called Kyle, but they are born with those names. However, Gomer Pyle is fictional, so one can only wonder why the character wasn't named Gomer Kyle. What actor portrayed Gomer Pyle on two television shows (and should have demanded a name change)?
6. It's bad enough that some people miss out on being a Kyle by changing a letter, but not only does actor Noah Wyle miss out by a letter, but his last name does not even rhyme with Kyle. Despite this, Wyle was able to gain recognition for his work on a very popular medical television drama. What television show that followed the events of a Chicago based Emergency Room did Wyle portray John Carter?
7. Kyla Weber may not be a household name, but this Canadian realtor's husband is a very famous comedic actor. What star of such comedies as "Old School," "The Breakup," and "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" did Weber marry in January 2010?
8. Sometimes instead of changing a letter, people decide to keep the name Kyle, but insert a letter. For example, Australian singer Kylie Minogue inserted an "i" into Kyle to come up with her name. Although she is primarily known for singing, she has also tried her hand at acting. In what 2001 Academy Award winning film did she play The Green Fairy, which also starred Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor?
9. Sometimes instead of changing a letter or adding a letter, people just remove a letter. United States Senator Jon Kyl has managed to win Senate campaigns, despite not having an "e" at the end of his last name. What state has Kyl represented in Congress, along with former Presidential candidate John McCain?
10. Former major league pitchers Darryl Kile could hardly hide the fact that he wanted to be a Kyle. Despite spelling his last name with an "i," Kile pronounced his last name the same as Kyle. Kile had a very good major league career, but will be most remembered for passing away in the middle of the 2002 baseball season. His death shocked the baseball world as it was the first time since 1979 that a big league player had passed away during the regular season. What former New York Yankee catcher and captain preceded Kile in death when he died in a plane crash during the 1979 season?
Source: Author kstyle53
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.