Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Recent DNA research has revealed a strong overlap of Irish genetics with those of another ethnic region. Can you name this group?
2. Rory O'Conor, born about 1116, is an important person in Irish history. He had a counterpart named Henry across the sea at the time. Who was O'Conor?
3. Many Irish names begin with O's -- O'Connor, O'Brien, O'Hara. To what does the O' usually refer in these surnames?
4. The ancient architecture of Ireland differs from that of England, because certain invading forces never conquered the Emerald Isle - unlike England. Many of the ancient structures from Ireland are thus from the Iron Age. Who were the invaders who didn't succeed on Ireland's side of the Irish Sea?
5. This Irishman could certainly turn a phrase. Here's one: "A tavern is a place where madness is sold by the bottle." The man who wrote that also wrote about Gulliver's travels. Can you name him?
6. There's a nickname for Irish people with dark hair, once thought to be descendants from Spanish Armada sailers. What is this nickname?
7. One of the most critically acclaimed writers in modern English literature was born in Dublin in 1882. Who was this author of "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" ?
8. Who was the Dublin-born author responsible for the 1897 publication of the gothic novel "Dracula"?
9. Which of these actors was NOT born in Ireland?
10. In the late 1970s, a group of spirited teenagers from Dublin formed what became an iconic band. Before Sunday, Bloody Sunday, can you name the band?
Source: Author PootyPootwell
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.