Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. What do the initials W.E.B. stand for?
2. Du Bois was the first African-American to earn a doctorate at what ivy league university?
3. Du Bois believed that Reconstruction was an abject failure.
4. Which of the following books was NOT written by Du Bois?
5. Du Bois popularized the use of the term "color line" to describe the injustice of the separate but equal doctrine. From what 19th century African-American abolitionist and Civil Rights activist did he borrow this term?
6. At what university, named for a famous abolitionist, did Du Bois meet (and teach) his future wife?
7. Du Bois was one of the organizers of The Exhibit of American Negroes at the Exposition Universelle. Where was it held?
8. What important Civil Rights organization did Du Bois help to found before becoming editor of its magazine, "The Crisis"?
9. Du Bois published a biography of what fiery abolitionist, who led a raid on the federal armory in Harper's Ferry?
10. Du Bois believed that African-American artists should emphasize art for art's sake and criticized the Harlem Renaissance for being too political and propagandistic.
11. Du Bois joined the Socialist Party in 1911 but was soon forced to resign his membership. Why?
12. In 1929, Du Bois publicly debated Lothrop Stoddard, who was a member of all of the following organizations except which one?
13. Du Bois was a strong supporter of U.S. intervention in World War II because he felt the racism of Nazi Germany had to be ended with force.
14. Du Bois spent five months in Nazi Germany.
15. Who offered to appear as a character witness for W.E.B. Du Bois when he was tried in 1951 for his refusal to register the Peace Information Center (PIC) with the federal government?
16. What Harlem Renaissance poet was briefly Du Bois's son-in-law?
17. Which of the following best describes the religious beliefs of W.E.B. Du Bois?
18. What church, at its 2009 General Convention, approved an annual commemoration of W.E.B. Du Bois on August 3?
19. Which of the following types of literature did W.E.B. Du Bois NOT write?
20. Toward the end of his life, Du Bois became a citizen of what African country?
Source: Author skylarb
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.