Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. "Ne had the apple taken been, The apple taken been,
Ne had never our ladie, Abeen heav'ne queen." (from the carol "Adam Lay Ybounden")
The medieval carol "Adam Lay Ybounden", repeats the myth that humanity was punished through Adam eating a forbidden apple. Why is this idea not biblical?
2. "Jesus Christ, our saviour, was born on Christmas Day" (from the carol "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen")
No date for the birth of Jesus is mentioned in the Bible, so why does the world celebrate Christmas on December 25th?
3. "Silent night, holy night" (from the carol, "Silent Night")
Just as we don't know the date, we don't know the time of Jesus' birth either. Which extra-biblical source began the tradition of his being born during the night?
4. "Snow was falling, snow on snow, snow on snow" (from the carol "In the Bleak Midwinter")
Was it snowing when Jesus was born? Which of the following is a piece of biblical evidence that points to this being improbable?
5. "He came down to earth from heaven, who is God and Lord of all,
And His shelter was a stable, and His cradle was a stall" (from the carol "Once in Royal David's City")
The traditional Christmas story has Jesus being born in a stable but, as you've probably guessed by now, you won't find this anywhere in the Bible. How does it arise?
6. "Little donkey, little donkey, had a heavy day;
Little donkey, carry Mary safely on her way." (from the carol "Little Donkey")
Mary and Joseph were in Bethlehem because they had to travel from Nazareth to take part in a census. Their mode of travel is not recorded but which of these statements is most likely to be true?
7. "O Star of wonder, star of night, star with royal beauty bright;
Westward leading, still proceeding, guide us to thy Perfect Light." (from the carol "We Three Kings of Orient Are")
Most nativity plays show the wise men looking up to a star and following it from their native land to the place of Jesus' birth. What is wrong with this portrayal?
8. "Herod then with fear was filled: A prince', he said, 'In Jewry!'
All the little boys be killed at Bethl'em in his fury." (from the carol "Unto Us A Boy Is Born")
Herod's slaughter of the innocents is at least biblical, being chronicled in Matthew's gospel. Given, though, the historic dating of Jesus' birth, which inconsistency surrounds the story?
9. "O they sailed into Bethlehem,
On Christmas Day, on Christmas Day" (from the carol "I Saw Three Ships")
The idea of the Holy Family cruising around Israel seems bizarre right from the start but which of the following makes it even more unlikely?
10. "Late in time behold Him come
Offspring of a Virgin's womb" (from the carol "Hark the Herald Angels Sing")
The virgin birth is recorded in both Matthew and Luke's gospels, so it is biblical. Which of the following reasons, though, is seen by commentators as the most serious objection to its historical accuracy?
Source: Author glendathecat
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.