Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first Diplodocus fossil was found by Earl Douglass and Samuel W. Williston in 1877. Many Diplodocus fossils have been found, including a skin impression. What does 'Diplodocus' mean?
2. Deinonychus was a dromaeosaurid, whose intelligence (as measured by its relative brain to body weight) was the highest among the dinosaurs. What is the meaning of Deinonychus?
3. Corythosaurus was named by Barnum Brown in 1914 from a fossil found in Alberta, Canada. Fossils have been found in North America, including Montana, USA, and Alberta, Canada. Fossilized skin with a pebbly texture has been found. What does the name 'Corythosaurus' mean?
4. Another hadrosaur, Parasaurolophus, lived during the late Cretaceous period, about 76-65 million years ago, toward the end of the Mesozoic, the Age of Reptiles. What does the name, Parasaurolophus, mean?
5. Pachycephalosaurus was discovered in 1938 by William Winkley on the family ranch outside of Ekalaka, Montana, USA. It was named Pachycephalosaurus in 1943 by Barnum Brown and Erich M. Schlaikjer. What does the name of the herbivore, Pachycephalosaurus, mean?
6. Styracosaurus lived in the late Cretaceous period, about 77-70 million years ago. It was among the last of the dinosaur species to evolve before the Cretaceous-Tertiary extinction 65 million years ago. What does 'Styracosaurus' mean?
7. Ankylosaurus fossils have been found in the western USA (Montana) and Canada (Alberta). Two Ankylosaurus skulls and three partial skeletons (including armor and a tail club) have been found. Ankylosaurus was named by Barnum Brown in 1908. What does the name, 'Ankylosaurus', mean?
8. The plant-eating ornithopod, Hypsilophodon, was a very fast bi-pedal (two-legged) runner; its back legs were long. It had a stiffened tail that helped it balance when running. What does the name, 'Hypsilophodon', mean?
9. The Jurassic Park villian, Spinosaurus, was a huge meat-eating dinosaur that had a series of spines on its back. This enormous dinosaur lived during the late Cretaceous period, about 98 to 95 million years ago, in what is now Africa. What does the name, 'Spinosaurus', mean?
10. Finally, what is the root-meaning of one of the first dinosaurs to be discovered, 'Iguanodon'?
Source: Author chadgar25
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor crisw
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.