Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This wind blows across France from the North West. It speeds down the valleys of the Rhone and Durance and mainly affects Provence, although it is also felt as far away as Sicily and North Africa. What is its name?
2. This wind is hot, dry and dusty and blows southwards from the Sahara Desert to the Gulf of Guinea on the west coast of Africa, most strongly from November to March (winter). It can block out the sun for days on end and the dust it carries may spread out over the Atlantic Ocean. What is is called?
3. This next wind blows in Australia in the summer and mainly affects Victoria and New South Wales. It's another hot, dry wind which picks up clouds of dust. What's its name?
4. This wind blows in the western regions of Canada and America, and takes its name from the native people of the area. It's another hot, dry wind and is also known as the 'Snow Eater'.
5. In the days of sail, mariners took advantage of the strong westerly winds that blow in the Southern Hemisphere to make a fast passage. What is the name of these winds?
6. In South Africa there is a famous south easterly wind that blows during the summer months from around September to March. It swirls down from False Bay to Cape Town and helps to keep the air fresh and sparkling. What's its traditional name?
7. There are areas both north and south of the equator where the prevailing winds are light and the weather generally hot and dry. In the days of sail, ships could often find themselves becalmed and might, in consequence, have to dispose of onboard livestock as their drinking water ran out. What name is given to these Latitudes?
8. This wind afflicts North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Its name is derived from the Arabic word for 'fifty' because it can blow intermittently for up to fifty days. It can cause electrical disturbances that render compasses useless, and there is generally nothing to do but take cover when it arrives. What is it called?
9. This is yet another hot, dry wind, this time to be found affecting coastal Southern California and northern Baja California. It shares its name with a town in Orange County, California. What is it called?
10. The final wind in this quiz is the one that blows from the Bay of Bengal and brings heavy rain to the Indian Subcontinent. What is it called?
Source: Author invinoveritas
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor WesleyCrusher
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.