Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Based on fragmentary remains, a new apex predator seems to have emerged from the sands 95 million years ago from North Africa. Based on parts of the skull, this huge Charcharodontosaurid is estimated to be 10-12m long, an upper estimate the same as T-Rex. What is this terrifying creature? P.S. "Lord of the Rings" fans, it's associated with a pretty famous character from that book...
2. This dinosaur, named in 2012, had lived in Northern Mexico 73 million years ago. A herbivore, this beast had a huge, prominent nose not unlike that of Muttaburrasaurus. However, this was an earlier cousin and it did not live in the same place. What was the name of this creature?
3. While still in debate at its 2012 naming, this creature may just be the oldest dinosaur ever found, living 10 million years before previous record holders. At an estimate of 100 pounds or less, it was not really the giant you might expect all dinosaurs to be. What was this creature's scientific name?
4. This tiny little devil lived 200 million years ago. Despite its small, 0.6m long body, it sported porcupine-like quills and a set of vampire-like teeth. Its name? Pegomastax. But which group of dinosaurs did it belong to?
5. In 2006, a new species of giant pliosaur has been discovered in Svalbard. Dubbed Predator X, this sea monster is one of the largest creatures to ever swim the oceans. At 15-18m long and a bite force measured at 20 tons, it was a leviathan that put T-Rex to shame. Now, scientists finally named this beast in 2012. What do you think its name is?
6. This strange pterosaur was found in 120-million-year-old river deposits in China. Named Guidraco venator, it was one of the freakiest pterosaurs ever discovered. What does its name mean?
7. This feathered dinosaur was named only from a single juvenile specimen found in Germany in 150-million-year-old limestone. Despite being a member of a large theropod dinosaur species, it is covered with feather and plumage impressions, especially around its tail. What is the name of this dinosaur?
8. One of the biggest discoveries of 2012 comes from China. A relative of T-Rex, Yutyrannus weighed as much as a car and yet lived 50-60 million years before most of its more famous ancestors evolved. However, that was not what made paleontologists excited... So what was so unique about Yutyrannus?
9. As it turns out, dinosaurs were not the only big creatures that roamed the Cretaceous landscape. In 2010, the skull of a huge bird has been discovered. In real life, Gargantuavis would have stood at 3m tall and, if it flew, a 4m wingspan. Where do you think this creature could have lived?
10. In 2012, a new spinosaur, called Ichthyovenator, was discovered in Asia, the first ever spinosaur from that part of the world. What was one distinctive feature that separated this species from the rest of its kind?
Source: Author dinotrek27
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor CellarDoor
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.