FREE! Click here to Join FunTrivia. Thousands of games, quizzes, and lots more!
Quiz about Dancing In The Streets Of Raith
Quiz about Dancing In The Streets Of Raith

Dancing In The Streets Of Raith Quiz

Although naming football clubs after their location is usual, Scotland has a significant number that don't name their town or city. Can you match these clubs with where they call home?

A matching quiz by Red_John. Estimated time: 4 mins.
  1. Home
  2. »
  3. Quizzes
  4. »
  5. Sports Trivia
  6. »
  7. UK
  8. »
  9. Scotland

4 mins
Match Quiz
Quiz #
Dec 03 21
# Qns
Avg Score
8 / 10
(a) Drag-and-drop from the right to the left, or (b) click on a right side answer box and then on a left side box to move it.
1. Albion Rovers  
2. Clyde  
3. East Fife  
4. Hibernian  
5. Queen of the South  
6. Queen's Park  
7. Raith Rovers  
8. Ross County  
9. St Johnstone  
10. St Mirren  

Select each answer

1. Albion Rovers
2. Clyde
3. East Fife
4. Hibernian
5. Queen of the South
6. Queen's Park
7. Raith Rovers
8. Ross County
9. St Johnstone
10. St Mirren

Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Albion Rovers

Answer: Coatbridge

Albion Rovers was originally founded in 1882 by the merger of two teams from Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire, Albion FC and Rovers FC. The club originally joined the Scottish Football League in 1902, and remained in the Second Division until 1915, when the two division structure was abolished. Having joined the Western Football League, Albion Rovers attempted to rejoin the national league structure in 1917, before they were finally readmitted in 1919, having moved to a new stadium called Cliftonhill, which has been the club's home ever since. Several times during the 1990s and 2000s, the club's board made attempts to move the club away from Coatbridge, most notably twice trying to sell Cliftonhill and groundshare with Airdrieonians, with each attempt defeated by supporters and shareholders to keep the club in its traditional home town.
2. Clyde

Answer: Cumbernauld

Clyde FC was founded in 1877 at Barrowfield Park in Glasgow on the banks of the River Clyde. The club remained there for twenty years, during which time they joined the Scottish Football League, until 1898, when they purchased land in the town of Rutherglen, close to the boundary with Glasgow on the opposite side of the river, where they constructed a new stadium called Shawfield.

Clyde remained at Shawfield until the mid 1980s when, as a result of the stadium falling into disrepair and being purchased by the Greyhound Racing Association, the GRA elected to sell the stadium for redevelopment, with Clyde being given notice to leave in 1986. As a result, the club spent five years groundsharing with Partick Thistle, and a further two years in Hamilton. However, the Cumbernauld Development Corporation had plans, as part of the regeneration of Cumbernauld, in North Lanarkshire, for the construction of a new stadium at the heart of its development project, and invited Clyde to become its tenants. Clyde played their first game at Broadwood Stadium in Cumbernauld in February 1994.
3. East Fife

Answer: Methil

East Fife was originally formed in 1903 in Methil, a coastal town in Fife, as a result of local demand for a senior football team. The club played for much of its first twenty years of existence in a number of local leagues in the region, culminating in being part of the Central League until 1921, when all of the clubs participating in the Central League, including East Fife, were admitted to the Scottish Football League's new Second Division. Having played in the same stadium, Bayview Park, since their foundation, in 1998, East Fife moved to a new ground, also called Bayview, which was built in the shadow of Methil Power Station.
4. Hibernian

Answer: Edinburgh

Hibernian was formed in 1875 by members of the Irish community in Edinburgh, with the club's name coming from 'Hibernia', the Latin word for Ireland. The club played at a variety of locations around the city until 1892, when they obtained the use of a site in Leith upon which they were able to construct a stadium, which became Easter Road.

Hibernian were admitted to the Scottish Football League in 1893, and have since become one of Scotland's major clubs, having won all three of the country's major domestic trophies several times, and sharing a major local rivalry with Heart of Midlothian. Although support for Hibernian today is based more on geography, with the club's supporters being primarily from the north and east of Edinburgh, the club's Irish heritage is still commemorated in its badge, which features a traditional Irish harp alongside a ship (to represent the port of Leith) and a castle (to represent Edinburgh).
5. Queen of the South

Answer: Dumfries

Queen of the South was originally formed in 1919 in the town of Dumfries in Dumfriesshire. At a public meeting, called with a view of forming a new local club to allow the town to compete at a national level, representatives of three local clubs were approached with a view to merging.

Although Dumfries FC declined, the other two clubs - 5th King's Own Scottish Borderers FC and Arrol-Johnston FC - agreed to merge into a single club. The new club was named Queen of the South United, after the nickname used by poet David Dunbar to describe the town during his parliamentary election campaign in 1857.

The 'united' moniker was soon dropped, with the club becoming simply Queen of the South. The club was eventually admitted to the Scottish Football League in 1923.
6. Queen's Park

Answer: Glasgow

Queen's Park was originally founded in 1867, making it the oldest football club in Scotland, and one of the oldest in the world. Its formation came about following a meeting of a group of amateur footballers, who regularly played in the Queen's Park area of Glasgow, to form their own club. A number of names were debated before the choice of the name Queen's Park was made. Queen's Park became one of the founder members of the Scottish Football Association (SFA) in 1873, and were regular participants in the SFA's knockout competition, the Scottish Cup, winning the trophy ten times before 1900. Queen's Park were also runners-up twice in the English equivalent, the FA Cup.

The club joined the Scottish Football League in 1900, but retained its amateur status until 2019. At the same time as officially turning professional, Queen's Park also elected to sell its home stadium, Hampden Park, which also serves as Scotland's national stadium, to the SFA, moving to a new stadium called Lesser Hampden sited adjacent to the main stadium.
7. Raith Rovers

Answer: Kirkcaldy

Raith Rovers was originally founded in 1883 in the town of Kirkcaldy in Fife. The club's name comes from a region of Fife called 'Raith', which derives from a Scots Gaelic word meaning "fortified residence", which stretches from Kirkcaldy to the southern edge of Loch Gelly.

The club began its existence playing at Robbie's Park, before moving to its present home of Stark's Park in 1891. Raith Rovers was the first football team from Fife to join the Scottish Football League when it was elected into the Second Division in 1902.

In 1994, the club won its first major trophy when they defeated Celtic in the League Cup, additionally qualifying for European competition for the first time.
8. Ross County

Answer: Dingwall

Ross County's formation came about in 1929, following the successful applications of two other clubs from Dingwall, Dingwall Victoria United and Dingwall Thistle, to join the Highland Football League. The new club, rather than take the name of the town, instead took its name from the traditional county of Ross-shire, of which Dingwall was the county town. Ross County were members of the Highland League from their formation until 1994 when, following a restructuring of the Scottish Football League, two new places became available. Alongside their local rivals, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ross County gained one of the new places in the Scottish League, since when the club has achieved a steady rise, achieving promotion to Scotland's top flight for the first time in 2011.
9. St Johnstone

Answer: Perth

St Johnstone's formation came in 1884 by members of the local cricket team in Perth, who sought a ways to occupy their time outside the cricket season. The club's name came from the old name for Perth, 'St John's Toun', which derives from the fact that the church at the centre of the parish was dedicated to St John the Baptist, with the Agnus Dei (Lamb of God), a traditional symbol associated with John the Baptist, was adopted by the club as part of its badge.

The club's original home was at the South Inch, a large park next to the River Tay, upon which they played at the Recreation Ground. Joining the Scottish Football League in 1911, the club moved to a new stadium, Muirton Park, in 1924.

The club remained there until 1989, when a new stadium, McDiarmid Park, the first purpose built all-seater stadium in Britain, was opened.
10. St Mirren

Answer: Paisley

St Mirren's formation comes from the establishment of a gentleman's club in Paisley that included teams playing cricket and rugby. In 1877, a football section was established, which took its name from Saint Mirin, who founded a church on the site of Paisley Abbey, and was later made the town's patron saint. St Mirren became a founder member of the Scottish Football League in 1890, and played one of the first night games, with light provided by oil lamps, against Morton in the same year.

The club played at a number of venues prior to 1894, when they moved to a new ground officially called St Mirren Park, but universally known as Love Street, which remained their home until 2009, when a new stadium, also called St Mirren Park, was built.
Source: Author Red_John

This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4 before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.
10/2/2023, Copyright 2023 FunTrivia, Inc. - Report an Error / Contact Us