Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Considered by many as the best Portuguese football player of all-time, this attacker scored 9 goals in World Cup 1966 held in England, which made him the tournament's top scorer and led the Portuguese team to third place in their first presence in a World Cup stage. He was known as "The Black Panther", but some of his fans call him "The King", comparing him to Pele himself! Who is he?
2. He was a part of the unforgettable Sporting Lisbon's attacking line that ruled the Portuguese football during the 1950s (the infamous "Five Violins"), winning 8 championships and 2 Portuguese cups. He will always been known as "Ze da Europa" (something like "European Joe"). He died in February 2002. Who was this Portuguese legend?
3. This powerful and aggressive center defender will always be remembered as one of his club's greatest captains ever, taking part in almost every title won by that team during the 1990s and the first years of the new millennium. This was despite spending half a season in the Premiership after a conflict with his coach at the time. In England, his physique and style of play earned him the nickname "The Tank", whereas in Portugal he got be known as "O Bicho" (something like "The Beast"). Can you name him?
4. This highly talented creative forward got the credit of being a fans favorite in both of the country's most fierce rivals, where he was known as "The Golden Boy" during his 8 year stay at the first, and as "The Great Artist" in the other. That should be enough for you to guess his name!
5. This flamboyant winger is probably the most nicknamed player in Portuguese football. In the initial stage of his career, his first coach called him "The Mustang". When arriving in Spain a couple of years later, his new chairman said he was just like "Harry Potter", due to the magical things he could do with the ball. His fans affectionately call him "The Little Gypsy", a result of his ethnicity. What's his name?
6. One of Armando Teixeira's nicknames is also the name for which he is mostly known in football. Son of Portuguese immigrants in France, he was nicknamed "Petit" by his parents in his childhood, and remained with that name ever since. Nevertheless, his rather energetic style of play later earned him another nickname. Do you know it?
7. One of the last rightful owners of the number 10 shirt in European football, Rui Costa is perhaps the greatest idol in Benfica's history after Eusebio, despite having played no more than five seasons with the club. Spending most of his time in Italy, he achieved world recognition for his talent with Fiorentina (alonside Gabriel Batistuta), and trophy glory with AC Milan. Being true that some people also call Rui Costa "The Prince", what is the nickname he is mostly known by?
8. Fernando Chalana was one of the greatest talents in Portugal before the so-called "golden generation", showing his amazing dribbling skills not only in Benfica, but also in the Portuguese national team, where he really shined during Euro 84 in France. His long, curly hair and large moustache also earned him the nickname "Chalanix" (after Asterix the Gaul), but he will always be better known as what?
9. Legendary Eusebio remained the best scorer in the history of the Portuguese national team for decades, just until a low-profile and often underrated striker known as "The Azor" scored against Latvia in 2005, and got the first place in the list for himself. Can you name him?
10. Another member of the "golden generation", winning the U20 World Cup in 1991, this disciplined team player first made his mark in Benfica's senior squad as a center defender, earning the nickname "Little Baresi" from coach Eriksson. He played most of his career as an anchor man. Being a good prospect didn't prove enough to stop his club from including him in a part-exchange deal, that brought Joao Vieira Pinto from Boavista to Benfica. He ended up winning the league not only in Boavista, but also in one of Benfica's rivals. His name is what?
Source: Author rolling-murray
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.