Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The Mets were allowed to select designated players from lists submitted to the league office by all National League teams to fill their rosters. With their very first pick, the Mets selected a catcher. What was his name?
2. The Mets assembled a formidable coaching staff for the team, led by Manager Casey Stengel who was let go by the Yankees after the 1960 season. On the coaching staff were Solly Hemus, Cookie Lavagetto, and Hall of Famer Rogers Hornsby, who was hired as a coach and major league scout. The other coach, a future Hall Of Famer, was a former pitcher who was their pitching coach. Who was that?
3. In an attempt to woo the fans or the former fans of the Dodgers and Giants, who had both moved their franchises to California after the 1957 season, the Mets drafted a former New York star for their roster. Who was it?
4. This draftee was a third baseman for the Mets for a short time in 1962. He later went on to a second career as a very successful manager. Who was he?
5. The trade of Hobie Landrith to the Baltimore Orioles completed a deal which brought this colorful character to the Mets, who actually started his major league career as a Yankee. Can you name him?
6. The Mets need a catcher since they traded Hobie Landrith away. They had catchers on their roster and in the minor leagues. They actually had two catchers who split the bulk of the games. One was Chris Cannizzaro. Who was the other?
7. The Mets did actually have a few good players. This gentleman was a mainstay of the Philadelphia Phillies outfield in the 1950s before coming to the Mets in the draft. Who was he?
8. The Mets got this power hitting left fielder from the Milwaukee Braves, although he spent most of the 1950s with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
9. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Where was it in 1962. Not on the Mets. The "ace" of the staff was a draft pickup from the Los Angeles Dodgers. He "led" the team that year with 10 wins. Unfortunately he lost 24 times. Who was this "ace" who later became a successful big league manager?
10. With a stellar collection of talent, what was the Mets record for the 1962 season?
Source: Author fredsixties
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.