Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On the morning of July 24, 1915, the SS Eastland was docked between the LaSalle St. and Clark St. bridges on the Chicago river. She was just one of several ships that were chartered to carry passengers to Michigan City, Indiana. This was a yearly family picnic for employees of which company?
2. This outing was the social event of the year for employees and their families. Approximately how many people in total were scheduled for passage from Chicago to Michigan City, Indiana?
3. The SS Eastland, being the largest vessel, was boarded first, and it is estimated that a count of 2500 were allowed to board. Within minutes the ship started listing. The crew made attempts to right her by adding water to the ballast to correct her list, but within minutes she was resting port side down in the Chicago river. How many lives were lost?
4. What was the name of the Michigan City Park where the picnic was due to take place?
5. Many local buildings near the disaster were quickly turned into makeshift morgues. One in particular was the 2nd Regiment Armory on West Washington. True or false: was this armory later turned into Oprah Winfrey's Harpo Studios?
6. Who was the captain of the SS Eastland at the time of her sinking?
7. Three months after the sinking, the SS Eastland was once again docked on the Chicago River. Her owners sold her to the Naval Reserve and she was refitted to be a Naval Reserve training gunship. With what name was she recommissioned by the Naval Reserve?
8. From the time of her launching in 1903, the SS Eastland had been plagued by a series of disasters that questioned the safety of this ship. True or False?
9. In 1902 the Michigan Steamship Company commissioned construction of SS Eastland, intended to be the quickest passenger ship on the Great Lakes. She was commissioned to be built by a company from Port Huron, Michigan. What was the name of this company?
10. The last body to be claimed was that of an unknown child nicknamed "Little Fellow", also known as body #396. How was he eventually identified?
Source: Author mmaryj
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor stedman
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.