Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The passenger liner Volturno sank in October 1913 at what location?
2. The Volturno's captain was:
3. The British India Steam Navigation Company's passenger liner Dara sank on April 9, 1961, at what location?
4. The British captain of the Dara was:
5. The luxury liner, Prinsendam, caught fire on October 4, 1980, and had to be abandoned near:
6. The Captain of the Prinsendam was Captain:
7. The ore carrier, Edmund Fitzgerald, subject of a popular ballad, was lost on November 10, 1975. Where?
8. Captain of the ill-fated Edmund Fitzgerald was:
9. The vehicle/passenger ferry, Estonia, was lost on a stormy September 29, 1994. Where?
10. Two captains are listed for the ferry Estonia lost in 1994. One, Captain Aavo Piht, is part of a mystery. Who was the other captain?
11. The collision between the Stockholm and the Andrea Doria took place:
12. Who was the captain of the Andrea Doria on her last voyage?
13. The first of our Castle disasters is the Yarmouth Castle, which sank on November 14, 1965, between:
14. The Captain was in the first lifeboat from the sinking Yarmouth Castle! Who was this speedy captain?
15. Our next Castle disaster is the Morro Castle. On September 10, 1935, the Morro Castle caught fire and went aground:
16. The Captain of the Morro Castle, Captain Robert Wilmott, had died on the night of September 9, 1935. Who was the First Officer who became the Captain and did nothing when Morro Castle caught fire?
17. RMS Lusitania was sunk on May 7, 1915, and helped propel the US into WW1. Where was this sinking?
18. The infamous sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 is well documented on both sides. Who were the two captains involved?
19. Although the loss of any ship is a disaster, the sinking of the German pocket battleship, Graf Spee, on December 17, 1939, is an example of human compassion and personal integrity. Where can the outline of this ship still be seen?
20. Who was the German Captain of Graf Spee?
21. The next five question concern the Captains of fictitious ships. Who was the captain of the S.S. Minnow?
22. Who skippered the Cotton Blossom, the famous Showboat?
23. The Hispaniola sailed us into adventure under whose guidance?
24. A more recent skipper in the limelight brings HMS Surprise through some tough times. Who runs this show?
25. A more obscure fictional ship is Lydia. Can you choose Lydia's Captain to end this quiz?
Source: Author coastie54
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.