Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Off the coast of Ireland in 1942, the RMS Queen Mary rammed and sank which ship?
2. The SS America, launched in 1939 was under tow and broke free during a storm in 1994. She was grounded in the Canary Islands, where her rusting hulk still remains. By what name is the former America now known?
3. The enormous French Liner Normandie is said to have sunk at her berth in New York Harbour on February 9, 1942. This is not exactly correct, is it? By what name was she known when she burned and settled on her side?
4. After the government-forced merger of Cunard and White Star, what major difference appeared on the Queen Mary that had never before been seen on a Cunarder?
5. In what was one of the last battleship engagements of all time, which ship came to the rescue of a damaged USS South Dakota to destroy the Japanese battleship Kirishma in November 1942?
6. Of all the carnage resulting from the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour on December 7 1941 only 2 battleships were total losses. Obviously the USS Arizona was one of them; which was the other?
7. The "Great White Whale" was an affectionate name given to which ship?
8. Which former Blue Riband holder met an unhappy demise at the hands of the R.A.F.?
9. From 1998-2008, the fleet carrier USS Kitty Hawk was based at which non-US location?
10. The RMS Britannic was to be named what until the loss of her sister the Titanic changed the view of White Star officials?
Source: Author chargerboy
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.