Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On June 15, 1904, the SS General Slocum, an opulent paddle steamer, caught fire and burned killing over 1000 people. What American river was this ship navigating when it went down?
2. In 1982 the ARA General Belgrano, an Argentine Navy cruiser, sank during the Falklands war with a loss of life of over 300 people. What was unique about the sinking of this ship?
3. What was the name of the passenger ship that disappeared with all aboard in 1909 and is referred to as "Australia's Titanic"?
4. One of famed French Romantic painter Theodore Gericaults, most famous works is entitled "Le Radeau de la Medusea". It is an emotion packed painting of the survivors of what infamous shipwreck that occurred on July 2, 1816 off the coast of Mauritania?
5. In 1975, in which of the Great Lakes did the freighter SS Edmund Fitzgerald sink?
6. When the MS Estonia capsized and sank in the Baltic Sea on September 28, 1994, how long did it take before any help arrived?
7. One of the world's largest accidental explosions caused by man occurred when the SS Imo and the SS Mont-Blanc collided. In which Canadian harbor did this tragedy occur?
8. The sinking of which ship was responsible for the largest loss of life to shark attack ever recorded?
9. The Yongala shipwreck site is one of the world's most popular sites for scuba diving on shipwrecks. Located near the Great Barrier Reef what natural phenomena caused the Yongala to sink?
10. The SS America is an example of what kind of maritime mishap?
11. What is arguably the world's most famous ghost ship?
12. What cargo was the infamous Mary Celeste carrying when she was found afloat with all hands missing in 1872?
13. The SS Valencia is a ghost ship that wrecked near Vancouver Island, British Columbia in 1906 with an almost complete loss of life. 27 years later what unusual thing happened related to this event?
14. The Caluche is a ghost ship that appears off the coast of which Patagonian country?
15. The Baychimo is an unusual ghost ship that met its end after getting stuck in what substance?
Source: Author dcpddc478
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.