Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. This is the flag of the Byzantine Empire. It consists of a tetragrammic cross, with four capital beta letters "B". What do those betas stand for?
2. Although the Roman Empire never had an official flag, the Roman Legions marched and fought under the standard shown in the photo. As you see, it is a red cloth with the golden letters "SPQR" encircled by a laurel wreath. What do the letters "SPQR" stand for?
3. This flag was used by a Latin American country or rather, an empire, lasting from 1828 to 1889, with Pedro II as its last ruler, deposed in 1889 by a coup d'état. After the fall of the empire, the flag ceased to represent the country. About which country are we talking?
4. Today, the swastika is remembered as the symbol of Nazism and Adolf Hitler. Yet, before its adoption as a Nazi symbol, the swastika was viewed positively as a symbol of good luck in many cultures. The word "swastika" is derived from Sanskrit and there is another name for the symbol, based on its appearance. Which one?
5. This is the flag of the Austrian Empire. It was used from 1804 to 1867, when the Austrian Empire and the Kingdom of Hungary formed Austria-Hungary. Afterwards, the former flag of the Austrian Empire was the symbol of only a subdivision of Austria-Hungary. Which one?
6. This is the flag of the Second Mexican Empire. It was flown from 1864 to 1867. The Empire was very short-lived, with only one monarch. Who was he?
7. This is the flag of a realm in Northern Italy which was established in the Middle Ages and continued existing until late 18th century. About which realm am I speaking?
8. This is the flag of the German Empire. It was used from 1871 until 1918 and the end of World War One. Three were the sovereigns of this Empire. The first and the last were Wilhelm I and II, respectively, but who governed in the interim between the two Wilhelms?
9. This is the flag used by the last dynasty of Chinese emperors, flown from 1862 to 1890, later replaced by another version. What was the name of the dynasty that used this flag?
10. This is the flag of the Soviet Union. As all the Soviet Republic flags, it depicts the typical communist symbol of the hammer and sickle. Yet, Vladimir Lenin and other Soviet leaders initially considered adding another symbol in the flag, before Lenin decided it was too aggressive. Which one?
Source: Author DeepHistory
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.