Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. According to the historian Patrick Agate, Wittmann destroyed 138 tanks and 132 anti-tank guns, with most of these kills credited over a 15 month period between 1943 to 1944. On which battle front were most of these kills accredited?
2. Wittmann started off the war commanding a SDkfz 232 armoured car. What tank was he first issued? Technically the tank in question was classified as an assault gun and had a fixed rather than revolving turret.
3. Wittmann joined the German army in 1934. In 1937 he joined an elite SS unit. Which one?
4. In 1943 Wittmann acquired the tank for which he became most famous. This tank was, at least until the closing stages of the war considered to be the most feared and deadly tank of the second world war. Think of the famous tank battle scenes in 'Saving Private Ryan' and 'Fury'. Name the tank.
5. In 1943 Wittmann participated in the Battle of Kursk. What did the German's call this operation?
6. In 1944 Wittmann transferred to the Western Front. It was at Villiers Bocage where Wittmann's most famous action took place, where he single-handedly mauled a British Division. Which one?
7. Still on the subject of Wittmann's triumph at Villers-Bocage, in his citation Wittman's superior officer referred to his destruction of 15 British heavy tanks. There were two types of British tank encountered. What were they?
8. When and where was Wittmann killed?
9. How did Wittmann and his tank meet their end?
10. Wittmann was buried in an unmarked grave and was only discovered several years later. When was his body finally found?
Source: Author Mightybear
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor ponycargirl
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.