Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In what year was Alice's first child born?
2. Alice and Louis' second child, another girl, was born in 1864. What was her name?
3. Alice's next child, Princess Irene was born in 1866. Alice called her Irene because it means what in Greek?
4. At last, Alice gave birth to a son in 1868. What was he called?
5. Prince Frederick William ('Frittie') was born in 1870. Sadly, it soon became obvious that he suffered from haemophilia, the deadly bleeding disease that originated among royalty in Queen Victoria's family. How old was Frittie when he died?
6. The second-last (and probably most famous) child in the Hesse nursery was born in 1872. What was her name?
7. Alice's last child, Princess Mary Victoria Feodora Leopoldine ('May' or 'Maly') died aged four of what disease?
8. Ella was courted by her cousin Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, but had no interest in him. Instead, she was enamored of Grand Duke Serge of Russia. How was he related to her?
9. In 1884, Victoria, the eldest, married Prince Louis of Battenberg in Darmstadt. Another of Victoria's relatives found love on the day of the wedding. Who was it?
10. The marriage of Irene to her cousin Prince Henry of Prussia in 1888 was the last public appearance of whom?
11. The marriage of Ernie and his cousin Princess Victoria Melita ('Ducky') of Edinburgh was sadly unhappy. It produced only one child. What was the child's name?
12. When Princess Alix met Grand Duke Nicholas of Russia at Ella's wedding, he was instantly enamored. Soon after, he proposed. Alix was reluctant to marry him, however. Why was this?
13. The First World War was particularly hard on Princess Alice's children. Louis, Victoria's husband, was forced to resign as First Sea Lord and when the British royal family became the House of Windsor in 1917, what title did Victoria and Louis take?
14. How many of Princess Alice's descendants were killed in the First World War?
15. What year did the last of Princess Alice's children die?
Source: Author LiamR
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.