Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In 1951, Bobby Thomson hit the game-winning home run off of Brooklyn's Ralph Branca giving the National League pennant to the New York Giants. Which pitcher had pitched the entire game for the Dodgers prior to being replaced by Branca?
2. The final score of this game was 5-4. What was the score at the beginning of the bottom of the ninth inning?
3. Bobby Thomson had a unique nickname even before hitting "the shot heard 'round the world". He earned the moniker partially due to his place of birth. What was his geographical alias?
4. Which number was Ralph Branca wearing on his uniform during this fateful game?
5. With Bobby Thomson at bat, and runners on base, Branca chose to pitch to Thomson rather than walk him. If he had walked him, who was waiting for him in the on-deck circle?
6. The New York Giants manager had said that if he were in Chuck Dressen's shoes, given the hot streak Thomson was on, and first base was open, he would have walked him. What was the name of the winning team's manager?
7. "THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy!" Who was the man that immortalized the play with this quote on the radio?
8. Ralph Branca lost both games in the best of three games playoffs to decide the National League pennant.
9. There have been many stadiums and fields located in New York City. What was the name of the field where this historic game took place?
10. After winning the game with "the shot heard 'round the world", the Giants advanced to play in the World Series. Which team subsequently beat them to become the 1951 World Series Champions?
Source: Author davegrilla
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nightmare
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.