Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. A tiny bird with a slender, slightly downcurved bill and fairly short wings is known for its precision flight, hovering ability, and rapidly flapping wings. What is the common name for Achilochus colubris?
2. Although Archilochus colubris is often listed as the bird with the fastest-beating wings, there is a bird whose flapping is so fast that it produces violin-like sound. What is this uncommon musical bird?
3. What predatory bird has sacrificed speed for silence, so that prey will not hear the beating of its wings at night?
4. What large, unattractive, bird flaps its wings the slowest during true flight (not soaring or gliding)?
5. What tiny, tiny insect can flap its wings with the greatest speed?
6. Which of these birds will sometimes stop beating its wings during flight and completely close its wings for short periods?
7. Butterflies are among the insects with the slowest-beating wings during flight. What is the main reason they flap their wings during rest?
8. Can man ever flap his arms fast enough to fly like a bird?
9. According to legend, scientists have determined this insect cannot fly according to the laws of physics. Not knowing this, it continues flying anyway. Which insect is the subject of this joke, a comment on the limits of science?
10. A bat's wings are even weirder than you may have thought! What part of the bat are its wings, which give it the most flight control of any creature?
Source: Author gracious1
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor rossian
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.