Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Mosquitoes are part of the order Diptera or 'true flies'. Which of these mysterious insects is one of their closest relatives, also belonging to the superfamily Culicoidea?
2. Of the four stages that a mosquito goes through in a lifetime, which of the following is the final, or adult, stage?
3. Once fully grown, which of these parts of their anatomy do female mosquitoes use to draw blood from other organisms?
4. The mosquito species Wyeomyia smithii breeds inside a pitcher plant, and the young mosquitoes feed on other insects caught in the plant. As the mosquito benefits and the plant is unaffected, what type of relationship is this an example of?
5. The mosquitofish is so named because mosquitoes regularly feed on its blood.
6. The blood eaten by a mosquito is used in the development of new mosquitoes. Which of the following types of nutrients is found in abundance in blood, and would not be provided in sufficient quantity from a nectar-only diet?
7. Which of these mosquitoes, recognisable by the white lyre-shaped marking on its thorax, is involved in the transmission of yellow fever, chikungunya and dengue fever among other diseases?
8. Which of these mathematics-related words describes the role of mosquitoes in the transfer of diseases?
9. You often hear people say that 'mosquitoes love them' and that 'mosquitoes prefer some people over others'. Is there any truth in this statement?
10. There are many ways to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes, but which of the following is NOT a good strategy?
Source: Author pagea
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor rossian
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.