Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The first bird to soar into view on hearing the "cuckoo, cuckoo" emanating from my cuckoo clock is Cuculus canorus, better known as the common cuckoo. For what unpleasant behaviour is the common cuckoo (along with a whole load of other cuckoos) best known?
2. A quick trip to the Indian subcontinent allows for a chance to see the common hawk-cuckoo, a bird which has a distinctive three-note call. By what alternative name, derived from this call, is it also known?
3. Cacomantis merulinus is a species of cuckoo found in the Philippines and surrounding areas of south-east Asia. It is named after the melancholic sound of its call, so can you pick out the common name of this bird from the options below?
4. The blue-faced malkoha is a member of the cuckoo family native to southern India and which island nation known as the 'Pearl of the Indian Ocean' or the 'Teardrop of India'?
5. One of the world's smallest and most southerly ranging cuckoos, Chrysococcyx lucidus, can be identified by its distinctive plumage. What is the common name of this bird that derives from the colour of its feathers?
6. Another member of the cuckoo family is the common koel (also known as the Eastern or Pacific koel). Why is this bird colloquially known as the 'rain bird' or 'storm bird' in Australia?
7. There are around thirty species of coucal worldwide, all of which are members of the cuckoo family. One species of coucal found in Australia, Indonesia and Papua New Guinea is named for its (slightly tenuous) resemblance to which game bird of the family Phasianidae?
8. The great lizard cuckoo has an alternative name derived from the country where it is predominantly found. To which island, the largest in the Caribbean, do I need to fly if I want to see a wild great lizard cuckoo?
9. The smooth-billed ani is a member of the cuckoo family found in the Caribbean and surrounding areas. What aspect of its behaviour sets it apart from most other cuckoos?
10. The final bird to fly over the cuckoo clock does so in a rather wobbly fashion as, although capable of flight, it spends most of its time chasing its prey on foot in the south-west US and Mexico. Which of the following fits this description?
Source: Author Fifiona81
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Tizzabelle
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.