Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. One of the most famous couples in literature is the pair of Romeo and Juliet. In the story written by William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet belong to rival houses, making it difficult for them to truly have a relationship. Romeo belongs to the house of Montague. To which house does Juliet belong?
2. In a famous Celtic legend we meet the pair of Tristan and Isolde, who fall in love with each other, aided by a love potion. There are many variations to the story. Which German composer made the legend into an opera?
3. Sometimes the love for a woman can actually start a war. When Paris kidnaps the beautiful Helen of Sparta and takes her to the city of Troy, the brother of her husband starts a war to get her back. Who is this scorned lover and husband of Helen?
4. A very famous love story is that between Egyptian queen Cleopatra and Roman general Mark Antony. After the death of Mark Antony, Cleopatra committed suicide. How is Cleopatra said to have killed herself?
5. How sad can things end up when you are hopelessly in love with the wife of the king you serve as a knight. It happens to Lancelot, who falls for the lovely Guinevere, who happens to be married to King Arthur. After things come to a climax, how does Guinevere spend the last years of her life?
6. Losing your beloved once is bad enough, but losing her twice really is a burden. It is what happens to Orpheus. When his wife Eurydice dies tragically, he plays such sad songs, that all the gods wept. They tell him to go to the underworld to get her back. Who is the god of the underworld, that Orpheus manages to persuade to give his wife back, only to lose her again?
7. Even French emperors aren't immune to love. Napoleon Bonaparte falls for the charms of Josephine de Beauharnais. Although both had affairs with others, they had strong feelings for each other. What was the reason Napoleon divorced her eventually?
8. The loss of a loved one can cause so much grief, that you want to have something special to remember them by. It happened to Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. After the death of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal he had the Taj Mahal constructed, a mausoleum made of white marble. In which Indian city can this famous monument be found?
9. The fact that beautiful women can't always be trusted, is certainly a lesson learned by Samson. He falls in love with Delilah, but it turns out that she was given a lot of money by the Philistines to discover the secret of his strength. What does she discover would break his strength?
10. This couple comes from the 12th Centrury. When French philosopher Abelard falls madly in love with Heloise, her uncle Fulbert is the one to disapprove of their love. He believes Abelard wanted to be rid of Heloise after sending her to a convent. What does Fulbert have done to Abelard in response, as the story goes?
Source: Author James25
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Nannanut
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.