Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. As with most geographical locations, Cardiff's design and functionality was heavily influenced by the local geology. At one point, Cardiff was the largest port in the world that exported a certain geological product. What product was this?
2. Cardiff's ability to act as a port is dependent on the city lying on a navigable body of water. Which of the following bodies of water lies to the south and south east of Cardiff?
3. The Welsh capital, Cardiff, has its fair share of rivers but its main waterway flows in a beautifully meandering fashion through the centre of the city and has a mouth in Cardiff Bay. What is the name of this river?
4. To the south of Cardiff lies a town which has gained widespread recognition as being the home of a character from the TV show 'Gavin and Stacey'. What is the name of this town which experiences a large tidal range, the second largest in the world?
5. Just a few miles to the east of Cardiff is another Welsh city which is a somewhat smaller and less well known settlement. What is the name of this city which has connections to golf's Ryder Cup?
6. The climate of Cardiff is slightly different to that of the rest of Wales, a difference brought about by its location. In general does Cardiff receive more rain than the Welsh average or less rain than the Welsh average? *See hint*
7. Cardiff is blessed with many well-maintained parks which are scattered across the city. The most significant patch of greenery can be found just a couple of minutes from the main shopping area in the city centre. What is the name of this park which houses Cardiff Castle in one of its corners?
8. Cardiff is home to the Welsh Assembly and is at the heart of Welsh culture. A permanent reminder of Cardiff's place in Welsh cultural history can be seen in the form of the Gorsedd Stones. This circle of stones indicates that what event has been held in the city?
9. The parks around Cardiff are so large and abundant that sports events and concerts are held purely within their boundaries. A popular location for concerts is simply a field! What is the name of this field where you can have a "barrel" of laughs?
10. Cardiff has twinning agreements with a few cities in Europe and one in China. What is the name of the German city, the capital of Baden-Württemberg, that Cardiff is twinned with?
Source: Author jonnowales
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor spanishliz
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.