Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. In what body of water, itself a part of the Indian Ocean, are the Andaman and Nicobar Islands located?
2. What line of latitude separates the Andaman Islands from the Nicobar Islands?
3. In what time zone of the Coordinated Universal Time system (UTC) are the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
4. What type of sub-national administrative division within India are the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
5. What town is both the capital and the most populous city of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
6. From what language are the names of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands derived?
7. What chain of islands, belonging to Myanmar, is separated by a narrow 40 kilometer channel from the northernmost Andaman island?
8. There are a total of 576 islands in the Andaman Islands. Twenty-six of these are inhabited and five of these 26 are considered major islands. Of the following, which is NOT one of the five major Andaman Islands?
9. The Andaman Islands are separated from the Nicobar Islands by this waterway that has a width of about 150 kilometers.
10. The Nicobar Islands comprise an area about one-fourth of that of the Andaman Islands. How many islands are there in total in the Nicobar Islands?
11. In the 1850s, the indigenous populations of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands came into direct contact with Europeans for the first time. Which of the following ethnic groups became extinct before India achieved its independence in 1947?
12. What nation invaded the Andaman Islands in 1942 and established a military base at Port Blair that lasted for over three years?
13. On December 26th of what year did an earthquake in the Indian Ocean cause a tsunami that reached heights of 10 meters and took the lives 7,000 people of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
14. With a height of 732 meters above sea level, this mountain is the highest point of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
15. An airport located in Port Blair with an IATA airport code of IXZ provides transportation from the Andaman Islands to two major cities of mainland India. What two mainland cities of India does IXZ serve?
Source: Author Triviaballer
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Leau
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.