Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. By its name you may think that Key West is the westernmost island in the Florida Keys, but you'd be incorrect. How far west off Key West are the Dry Tortugas? The distance takes approximately two hours fifteen minutes by boat.
2. What Florida county, sharing its name with an early U.S. President, contains part of the Everglades and all of the Florida Keys including the Dry Tortugas?
3. The seven islands of the Dry Tortugas were discovered by Europeans in 1513. Which explorer, who fruitlessly searched for the Fountain of Youth, led the expedition that crossed through the Dry Tortugas?
4. Sharing its name with a sea turtle, which island of the Dry Tortugas is the largest at 260,000 square meters?
5. What third-largest island of the Dry Tortugas was formerly named Hog Island and is closed from April to September to protect its large population of terns that established a rookery there? The island also shares its name with a powerful Republican family.
6. Not surprising due to their location, the Dry Tortugas' climate is relatively hot. Historically August has been the hottest month. Similar to much of the state of Florida, what is the average high temperature in the Dry Tortugas during the month of August?
7. The Dry Tortugas may be most well-known for their status as a National Park. Which of the following statements is NOT true regarding Dry Tortugas National Park?
8. Dry Tortugas National Park contains the largest masonry structure in the Western Hemisphere. What is the name of this fortress located on Garden Key that was built with more than 16 million bricks?
9. The location of the Dry Tortugas in the Gulf of Mexico makes them susceptible to hurricanes. Which of the following hurricanes struck the islands in 2004 on its torrent path that included passing through Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina?
10. While the Dry Tortugas may be the westernmost islands of the Florida Keys, they do not contain the westernmost point of Florida. Which of the following Florida cities is located much further west than the Dry Tortugas?
Source: Author Triviaballer
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Pagiedamon
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.