Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. No quiz on the 1940s would be complete without some questions on THE big event of the decade, WWII. Who was the American Vice-President when the US entered the war?
2. In 2007 The American Film Institute issued its list "100 Years, 100 Films" which ranked the greatest American films of all time. Which of these movie classics from the list was NOT released in the 1940s?
3. Who was the world heavyweight boxing champion for most of the 1940s?
4. This Hollywood gossip maven had a popular radio show and wrote an influential newspaper column for the LA Times for more than 20 years. She was at the zenith of her power in the 1940s and was known for wearing outlandish hats. Which woman was she?
5. When did President Franklin Roosevelt die?
6. According to the US Bureau of the Census which was NOT one of the five largest US cities in the 1940s?
7. This book, first published in 1946, is the 7th biggest seller of all time according to "The Top 10 of Everything" by Russell Ash (Hamlyn, 2008). It has sold over 50 million copies. Which book is it
8. In 1947 this golfer, a former Olympic gold medalist, won the British Open for the first time, and in a career of more than 20 years won an astounding 82 tournaments in all. Who was it?
9. This organization was founded in Fontana, California in 1948. Rumor has it that its rules include that no prospective member may have ever applied to be in law enforcement. It has been a favorite target of the US Department of Justice and the FBI. Can you name this outlaw group?
10. During WWII women entered the ranks of Navy duty in a group known as the "WAVES". These women held positions in wide ranging fields that freed up men for combat duty. What did the acronym "WAVES" stand for?
Source: Author brewster76
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.