Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Vice-President Harry Truman was sworn in as President on April 12, 1945 following the death of Franklin Roosevelt. Who then assumed the American vice-presidency?
2. America's longest running television show is also the longest-running show in world-wide broadcasting history. This Sunday morning news show debuted on NBC in 1947 and has featured many moderators including Roger Mudd, Marvin Kalb, Martha Rountree and Tim Russert. Name the show.
3. Food rationing during WWII led to an increased emphasis on meatless entrees. Which product became so popular as a substitute for meat that 80 million units were sold in America in 1943?
4. Another product that was in short supply during WWII was nylon stockings. What did many innovative (and desperate) American women do as a substitute for nylons?
5. On December 26, 1941 Winston Churchill became the first British Prime Minister to do what? (Hint - remember the quiz title)
6. In December of 1944 this Tennesee Williams play premiered in Chicago. The main characters were Amanda Wingfield, her son Tom and crippled daughter Laura. It is widely believed to be based on Williams' own life. Which drama is it?
7. Maria Francesca Cabrini made history in July of 1946 as the first American to do what?
8. In the early 1940s Colonel William Donovan was named to head the OSS (Office of Strategic Services), the forerunner of the present day CIA, which was America's wartime intelligence agency. What was Colonel Donovan's nickname?
9. In April of 1948 this African-American man signed with the Brooklyn Dodgers, the team that broke the famous "color barrier" the year before by drafting Jackie Robinson. Nicknamed "Campy", this catcher became the second African-American (after Robinson) inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Can you name him?
10. This future Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and Oscar winning songwriter was born in Long Branch, New Jersey on September 23, 1949. He started playing clubs on the Jersey Shore in the mid-60's. Who is he?
Source: Author brewster76
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.