Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. On April 1, 1865, the South began its final offensive. The Confederate Army was led by General George E. Pickett, the Union Army by General Philip Sheridan. What was the name of the battle, fought near Petersburg, Virginia?
2. April 2, 1865, was a significant one for both the Union and the Confederacy. General Ambrose P. Hill, a Confederate hero, was killed at the Third Battle of Petersburg. What other event occurred?
3. On April 3, 1865, Union forces occupied both Petersburg and Richmond. What occurred in Richmond on April 4th?
4. On April 6, 1865, the last major engagement of the war occurred. General Sheridan inflicted a devastating defeat on Lee's forces. What was the name of this battlefield?
5. On April 7, 1865, President Lincoln wired this message: "Gen. Sheridan says 'if the thing is pressed I think that Lee will surrender.' Let the thing be pressed." To whom did he send it?
6. On April 9, 1865, Lee launched an attack intended to break through the Union lines. It was the last engagement of the Confederate Army under Lee. The attack failed. What was the result?
7. The evening of April 14, 1865, President Lincoln attended a performance of "Our American Cousin" at Ford's Theatre. He was shot by John Wilkes Booth and died the next day. The Booth plot, however, had two other targets that same night. Who were they?
8. On April 18, 1865, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston and Union General William T. Sherman signed an Armistice that included a general amnesty, among other terms. How did President Andrew Johnson react?
9. On April 26, 1865, John Wilkes Booth was killed at Richard Garrett's farm. The other conspirators were rounded up and eight were ultimately tried by a military tribunal ordered by President Johnson. What was their fate?
10. On April 27, 1865, one of the greatest marine disasters in United States history occurred. What ship sunk with a catastrophic loss of life?
Source: Author lowtechmaster
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor gtho4
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.