Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Which famous Spanish conquistador founded Lima on January 18, 1535 after he conquered the Incan Empire in 1532?
2. The strength of Lima was tested almost immediately when in August 1536, Manco II, the Spanish appointed Incan Emperor, attacked the city. What was the result of this siege?
3. Lima quickly became a prosperous city in the 17th century mainly because the city was a key stop on a trade route for what commodity?
4. Near the end of the 17th century, Lima's hardships and obstacles began to intensify. Several earthquakes damaged the city badly, which led to disease and famine. What other challenge, this one man-made, did Lima face during this time?
5. Who was the last viceroy of Peru to rule in Lima? He abandoned his post in July 1821, essentially handing both Lima and all of Peru to fighters for independence.
6. Which unusual agricultural item gave Lima a brief economic boost after its independence and was the focus of the Chincha Islands War in 1864?
7. Which South American nation occupied Lima for a period of time during the late 19th century during the War of the Pacific?
8. Lima went through decades of urban renewal and the city grew in population and area. Which of the following was NOT constructed between 1890-1939, the traditional years of Lima's urban renewal. The correct answer did not begin operating until 2011.
9. The Estadio Nacional Disaster, the deadliest in soccer history, happened on May 24, 1964 when Peru was playing which nation?
10. Which of the following statements is true regarding the Japanese Embassy Hostage Crisis in Lima on December 17, 1996?
Source: Author Joepetz
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor bloomsby
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.